Saturday, November 16, 2013

Ten Things of Thankful

1. Tears- After years of listening to my heart ache and struggle to heal, it finally gained some perspective. Healing tears flowed this week as I walked through my own frailties. The holidays look a little less daunting.

2. About Time- Saw this film with a friend last week. I laughed and cried. The music is divine.



3. Dr. St. Amand and the Guaifenesin Protocol- Seven years ago, I was officially diagnosed with fibromyalgia. It is a quirky disease. Fatigue and I have battled since childhood. A friend hijacked my life and took me to him because she was convinced I had it. Counting Mutant read his book and agreed. I started September, 2007 looking like this (the dots are the lumps and bumps within my muscle structure):


For the last year and a half, healing seemed to stagnate. Not getting better, but not really getting worse. In the spring I re-evaluated some other medications I was taking. Yesterday I had my appointment and now I look like this:

Healing is happening. I was about to give up. I am so happy I didn’t. AND I am so grateful to the friend who kidnapped me and MADE me go. 

4.  Mistakes- Went to Santa Monica yesterday for some girl time with GirlyK. Our favorite is to hit the Goodwill thrift shop and then visit Tiffany’s. Somehow it just touches every surface of reality. I leave feeling full. Yesterday the mission was a pink sweater. I found two: one perfect and one dreamy, both six dollars. I tried the dreamy one on three or four times, then put it back.

Why? Because it was too perfect. Too beautiful. Holy Spirit urging me that it was God’s blessing for me. He provided it. Yet, my little faith put it back on the rack and walked away knowing I would regret it.

Why does this make me thankful? Because God still loves me. He provides abundantly even when I am not looking for it. In accepting my mistake, I accept the lesson. Next time when that Still Small Voice speaks, I will run in confident obedience. No questions asked.


5. Panini and a sidewalk cafĂ©- Each time I meander Santa Monica, I walk by Caffe Bellagio, right at Santa Monica and Third Street Promenade. Yesterday, after the sweater fiasco, I stopped in. The service was fantastic. The food was delicious. The atmosphere was divine.


6. Gelato- what else is there to say?


7. A clean car- The planets aligned and I was able to wash and vacuum my car. Miracles do happen.


9. Micah J. Murray and satire- How Feminism Hurts Men.  It is so liberating when a man lobbies for equality for women. Read it!


10. Fall has finally come- The trees turning into their brilliant yellows and golds before. Driving around this Central Valley town where the smog of California comes to rest, the brilliant colors of autumn break the brown monotony. For a few weeks, the sky stays brilliant blue. breathing in beautiful clean air while it lasts.





Ten Things of Thankful

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are finally finding treatment that works for you to get a handle on your fibro. Fibro is awful.
    One should always be grateful for gelato.
    I laughed at your stars aligning to get your car clean. Within an hour of cleaning my van, it will always, always be a mess again. How does it happen so fast?!?
    Glad to have you linking up with us again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the car getting dirty has to do with being on the go constantly. It now has a couch in it.

      Delete
  2. I really don't know much at all about fybromyalgia, but I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered for so long and so happy for you that the treatment is working. That photo of the gelato is amazing! I feel infinitely happier when my car is clean too :) Hope you have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fibro has taught me that we all suffer with something.

      Delete
  3. Fibro can be tough stuff as no one seems to know what to do for it...seems like it differs person to person.... My car is a mess...do you think the stars would line up to get someone else to clean mine? Hey what kind of a tree is in that last photo...its cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what kind of tree it was. I will find out.

      Delete
  4. Look at those COLOURS OF FALL! They're beautiful. I'm almost beginning to be sold on it!

    The treatment sounds brilliant, and thank goodness for your friend! What an awesome way to get hijacked, and what a HUGE improvement you've seen :) That's brilliant.

    Well done for cleaning your car. Mine is a tip (picture the Peanuts character 'Pigpen', but as a car - that's my car). I need more motivation than the stars - I have until next Summer, when I need it to be neat, just for my own sanity.

    And the pink sweater. Trust it next time, my dear friend. You deserve to have such beauty in your life, but I'm glad the lesson was there nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so tired yesterday and my brain simply wouldn't shut up about it. I had to visit two in town thrift stores just to get it to move on. I do love the sweater I got.

      Delete
  5. …when we got Ola (our first German Shepherd) and the time came to get another car, I consciously thought, 'it's got to have leather interior'. the reason being that, since I use my car for work, I figured it would be easier to clean the dog hair, i.e. open the sunroof and all window and drive real fast! car clean!

    good to have you with us this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the Third Street Promenade! When I think about living in LA, it's places like that that I miss! Sounds as though, in spite of the sweater fiasco, you had a wonderful time there.

    I have a high school friend with fibro. She suffers so. It's inspiring to read that you have gotten help and yours has improved.

    I've never had gelato, but I am an ice cream and frozen custard fan, so I think it would be something I would find totally delish. Again, like the 3rd Street Promenade, something you just don't find in the Ozarks.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.