Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ten Things of Thankful-The week between

It is one of those days.

Fibromyalgia- For a long time I prayed to understand my own limits. I wanted to have boundaries and hold them with grace, to know myself. The great gift of this disease is I now have these things. When I need to shut down I can, free from guilt. Thanksgiving, Nutcracker, Christmas, New Year’s and The Mutant’s birthday is a marathon. Therefore, ‘tis the season for my body to revolt. Yesterday and today will be days spent in bed in attempt to catch my breath.

The Counting Mutant- After dancing last week, a bout with diverticulitis and back at work, add in a few Christmas parties and you get the gist of his week. What is he doing today? Cleaning- because of the marathon it hasn't happened. Toilets, floors, dusting and marketing are his conquest today. He is my hero.

A retirement party- We attended our first retirement party today. Yup. We’re that age now. A friend of The Mutant’s brother retired from the local police force. In a room filled with love, we sat in amazement listening to stories, friendship and heroism.

A change in plans- Friday night The Mutant was supposed to take me to the company Christmas party. A new outfit planned and legs shaved met with the unexpected. The boys’ high school played in the State Championship along with another school in town. Both games were televised. Out went the party and in we stayed. The Mutant, Ase and Zany yelled in the living room while GirlyK, Ase’s girlfriend and I huddled around Pinterest. It was perfect.

Shopping- This year I am not organized, yet everything is falling into place. Almost all shopping is done. The budget is straining, but not busted and I have been able to delegate some. This thing with kids getting older is kinda nice.

Fairy lights- We had three gray days this week. I am so grateful for the sparkling lights I put all around the house. It tricks my brain enough with the ambient light that I don’t get blue. While the sun us supposed to be up the little lights are on. When it goes down, I turn them off.

Watson is all better- During Nutcracker, we got him neutered. Nuts cracked during Nutcracker. The idea was to get the most out of his confinement time. Of course that meant things wouldn’t go smoothly. Apparently sometimes, in well developed dogs, the sack swells after the contents are taken out. The pain medication gave him diarrhea. After a hits and misses, we finally got him the good drugs. Finally free from the Cone of Shame yesterday, he is one happy dog.


Warm and toasty blankets with snugly dogs

This week’s giggle- a twist on Cat’s and Dogs.


.


AND a Christmas giggle. 


Ten Things of Thankful

8 comments:

  1. Rebecca, you make me laugh and cry at the same time. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *kicks dirt* Thanks! Just what I needed to hear today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. speaking from the Ychrome Contingent, two words for the 'Watson item': ewwww

    (otherwise sounded like a reasonable decently good week?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was. It is a good thing I find the ewww funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to stay in bed and look after yourself rather than have to keep slogging through. Hope it all abates soon and lets you get on with life again.

    You have some lovely things here. Your evening in around Pintrest sounds like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watson... oh how I want a dog like that! Well...neutered wasn't necessarily what I meant but that's ok too... he is just such a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Watson! Nothing quite like a pet who isn't feeling well.

    Sorry to know you were not feeling well, but glad you could take some time to take care of yourself. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and I know those not-so-great days all too well. Listen to your body and be well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We all have limits. I'm so glad you are recognizing yours. The one I liked best was legs shaven and planning to go out to a Christmas Party. But having kids often means a change of plans. I liked how the evening turned out PERFECT anyway. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.