Saturday, January 25, 2014

Ten Things of Thankful #32


Ten Things of Thankful

Every year our homeschool group has a Valentine’s Party. The kids have to bring a box to receive Valentines and cards to give out. My favorite classroom craft growing up was paper mache. When the boys were schooling at home, it never worked out time wise, but with the girl it has. I get so excited each year. This is our fourth year doing the project.

2010
2011
2012
2013
I take the weeks before teaching this fantastic form of sculpture. Having a few friends to help makes the project even more fun. This was our first week. Any guesses of what these might become?


More on the creative front this week was our homeschool group’s Craft Day. I teach about one a quarter and January’s was Joy Jars. With Dollar Store containers, Modge Podge and tissue paper, each one was unique and beautiful. The idea with a Joy Jar is anything good that happens, write it on a piece of paper and put it in the jar. Next New Year’s Eve you open the jar and read all of the good things that happened.













We had weather this week. In the Central Valley of California, it doesn’t happen often. We have fall, a week of winter and spring then summer. Here in Cali, when the atmospheres collide over dry ground we get dust storms. When it does, I savor every moment: the music of howling wind and a sky colored by a light orange hue.

                

When the windstorm is over, it will be worth it. Our area air is one of the country’s worst. Once calm, the sky will be blue and I will be able to see the mountains again. At least for a few days.

I have a confession. I love Barbie movies. I am so grateful GirlyK hasn’t grown out of them. The latest one has these short episodes on them. Both episodes are worth it. Watch out for the reference to Lord of the Rings, The Godfather and Bond.


Along with the shorts, the Barbie movie had a music video. We all agree that it should be Ase’s theme song. He IS Ken.


Along with the windstorm today, the gardeners were working on our area’s irrigation pipes. That meant they had to turn everyone’s water off. I had things to do today: laundry, dishes, cooking, a shower. While I was rattling around the house today, feeling very inconvenienced, when a word of correction which humbled me. My water will turn back on. There are others who will never have it.

Life hiccupped yesterday. So we curled up and watched Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium. Each time I watch it, something new is inspired. This time it was the line, “Life is an occasion. Rise to it.”


Things my kids say which humble me:
GirlyK: “Why does it matter that they are gay? I don’t understand why it is a big deal. They are people. When I grow up, I want a gay best friend like ___. Because they’re fun, give great fashion advice and are just great friends.”
Zany: “My friends are shocked when I say; I don’t care if people are gay. I think they are people first and that’s what matters. Who they are attracted to is none of my business.”


Loving your neighbor, in action.

16 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever seen that movie from start to finish. Perhaps I need to put it on my list of movies to watch next time I can't think of a movie to watch! Any movie that just keeps on inspiring has to be good.

    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids sound like they have wise heads on their shoulders :) I watched the film 'Prayers for Bobby' yesterday, and it was harrowing.

    The joy jars look beautiful. And I'm going to guess a caterpillar for your latest craft, because there are so many balloons there. When do we find out?

    It's difficult when we get caught up in first-world-problems and then are pulled up short. I do it often. It's very humbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each week I will post a picture of the progress until Valentine;s Day. Then the BIG LOVE will be revealed.

      Delete
  3. Those kids are wise beyond their years. We could learn from them :)
    The paper mache looks so great! I look forward to (trying) that and to the Barbie movies that are in my future I'm sure, as I have 2 toddler girls.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some are better than others, but none of them take life too seriously. Every once in a while it introduces a topic for GirlyK and I to discuss. They are just fun! Cotton candy style.

      Delete
  4. I always loved paper mache and you look like a master of it... we made piñatas every year for the kiddos birthday... messy but really fun stuff! Barbie movies huh? I had a boy ... I feel spared somehow even though you vouch for them... sorry...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever need a girly giggle, the Barbie webisodes are a hoot. We all need a little glitter now and then...I have thought about the pinatas, but I couldn't get the boys into it. It is great fun making that mess.

      Delete
  5. Your Joy Jar sounds like a longer-term Ten Things of Thankful--with more than 10 things, of course. What a good idea!

    The paper mache Valentine boxes are quite creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Joy Jar is a longer term TTOT thing. This will be our first time trying it out. I will keep you posted.

      Delete
  6. Your valentine boxes are awesome! My preschoolers are supposed to bring a decorated valentine box to school for their valentine party, and you'd think I was asking those parents to create a replica of the Sistine Chapel.

    Love the common sense your kids have.

    Barbie movies didn't become really big until my daughter was too old for them, and for that, I am not sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do parents make such a big deal out of things like that. I often feel conflicted a little taking our projects to the party. I am not trying to be an over achieving parent, it just looks that way.

      I am not a big fan of all of the Barbie movies, but they are great for a corny giggle, especially that Dreamhouse webseries.

      Delete
  7. We've only done a couple paper mache projects around here. We all really liked doing them, though. It's amazing what a few, everyday materials can become when combined.

    I cannot even fathom what your climate is like. Summer most of the year??? A dust storm?? Nope, can't imagine. I know about the wind, though. I do like that sound. We have it all the time around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stay in the 60s from October to about April, dipping once in a while into the 30s. From April to October the average is upper 90s, climbing well into the 100s like an over achieving student on a test. They say it is a dry heat, but having been in both humid and dry, I think both are hot, sticky and damage my femininity.

      Delete
  8. I have never seen a dust storm and honestly hope I never do! There cannot be anything good involved in a lot of dirt blowing around!
    I love the projects and never think of doing paper mache with my kids. I don't know why not...but I'm thinking of it now.
    We have been out of the Barbie movie stage for a while now. I miss them. But I LOVE Mr. Magorium and love the sentiment.
    I catch myself doing the same thing when we have the air conditioning goes on the fritz or the power goes out. The things we take for granted, right? Others should be so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of the "joy jar" idea, but yours is the first I've seen decorated in such a lovely way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Valentine's party sounds awesome and I love the paper mache projects (R2D2?? LOVE HIM). I can't wait to see what this year's Valentine's project will be and the joy jar is awesome. I haven't seen a single barbie movie. I guess I'm totally missing out??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.