Sunday, March 2, 2014

Ten Things of Thankful #37b- With a Full Heart


Ten Things of Thankful

My week was so full, I have enough material for two posts. After the amazing experience with Jury Duty on Tuesday, the adventure continued:

1. People to People: is an organization that sends kids to other countries in for a cultural exchange. The first year G visited London and Paris. Last year G went to Canada. This year G gets to go to Australia. In year’s past I’ve not been able to participate in the fundraisers. This year I could and Bunco was the perfect antidote to the day. Australian food suggested by A Mother Life accompanied by Australian wine. Even GirlyK tried some Vegimite!

2. Navigating friendships: I really hate when I’m right. AND it was confirmed when GirlyK procrastinated school work and had a minor meltdown before a homeschool Constitution class. I am proud of her for not wanting to answer in kind to the “good-hearted teasing” she’s on the other side of. Her thick skin and acutely logical mind can make friendships difficult for her to manage, BUT I’m proud of her integrity.

3 New cups: I am a sucker for a nice cup. I lost my favorite Starbucks one last weekend, and GirlyK needed the artistic therapy… so of course that meant new cups, new sharpies and DOODLES.

4. Irony: Since we call a spade a spade around here, I bought GirlyK this On Wednesdays We Wear Pink shirt as a reminder to own her own crap during that friendship growth season.



5. Thursday: Typically my Thursday night is coffee/drinks with the fantastic artist Jeannie Hart. She’s in the UK for a few weeks, so I had to adjust. I spent the two hours, outside of the dance studio, feet propped up researching tutoring and trying to pass level 137 in Candy Crush.



6. Jimmy Fallon: had a lip sinc battle with Paul Rudd. I’m just going to leave this here:


7. Realization: GirlyK does NOT like boy bands. Sure some of the songs are alright, but it wasn’t until Jimmy Fallon started singing Juke Box Hero that I realized why. With older brothers and a Rock and Roll Dad, she has an eclectic taste in music. It doesn’t matter if the boy is cute, she’d rather sing the song.

8. Lent: is around the corner. Last year I went beyond the numb protestant observation and studied the liturgical significance of it. It was a deeply meaningful and celebratory time for me. I’ve been praying about what direction to take this year. What I landed on was Elizabeth Esther’s Gentle Lent.

9. Rain!!! We got some, about two days worth. Mostly it was spitting, but we had a few beautiful moments that were full fledged big wet drops from the sky.

10. Clean air: Remember a few weeks ago when my air looked like this?


Well… NOW it looks like this. AND we can see the mountains. These are the few days when I realize why people originally settled into this Central Valley town. Take away the particulate matter in the air and it is a pretty place.


9 comments:

  1. You overachiever, you! Two lists! My daughter loves "Mean Girls," so I get the t-shirt reference. And a good message to her to own her own crap. Love her artwork on the glasses, too. Jimmy Fallon = awesome. Glad you got some rain; I know California has been very dry. I always loved my drive to work after a rain when I lived there. Driving over the mountain and into the Valley and seeing mountains and blue sky was delightful! Oh, and any excuse to play Bunco is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty impressed with myself. Don't worry it will pass and I will be back to regular old Late To The Party self next week.

      We have so little weather here that when it happens I want to blow up balloons, fly streamers and DANCE!! It is something about California I've never gotten used to. I miss seasons and change. The rhythm of it all is so soothing.

      It was only my second time playing Bunco-I could get used to it.

      Delete
  2. Ooops! Think I may have posted a blank comment. Sorry!

    Australia...how exciting! We visited the summer of '09 and stayed with some friends of ours in Sidney. I still have Vegemite in my pantry from that trip. It has a long storage life I'm told. Definitely an acquired taste! Hope G has a fabulous time! International travel is great for expanding and stretching one's self! My daughter heads to Iceland in May with a college group and then is traveling solo in Europe for a couple weeks. She'll visit a couple of our former exchange students! Excited for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blank comment didn't post, so you're good.

      What have you put Vegemite on? I don't mind the yeasty/malt taste, its the salty slap that I have a hard time with.

      Iceland sounds exciting and friends in Europe! I am looking forward to hearing about it. I'm excited for her too.

      Delete
  3. What wonderful opportunities to travel abroad G has had! And you get to play Bunco. I used to be in a Bunco group, but we rarely actually played. ;)
    Those cups GirlyK painted are so pretty!
    Thank you for the Jimmy Fallon clip. The man cracks me up, but I can't stay up that late to watch him.
    Lent has really snuck up on me this year. I almost forgot it starts Wednesday.
    Glad you all got some rain. I look forward to rainy days instead of the snow/ice ones we've been getting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing the lip sync battle- amazing!!!

    And love that you got your daughter the shirt to remind her of friendship. Smart mom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like GirlyK's got a a lot going on, which is very cool. I'm glad she's enjoying all the travel and 'seeing-the-world' stuff.

    I've not thought about Lent in any way, shape or form. I didn't realise it was pancake day til they said about it on the radio this morning. And I've no idea if I'm observing it. Blech.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.