Saturday, October 18, 2014

Vague Simplicity: Ten Things of Thankful #70

Ten Things of Thankful

Hey, look! Two weeks in a row of Thankfuls. It is nice to have the words. Feel room within my soul to weave them together and join in the chorus of Gratitude.

1. Interwebs: I’m a bit of a quirky person. Finding people to play with, talk with and simply walk life alongside can be a tricky thing. I’m grateful for people like Lizzi, an ocean away and eight hours in my future. She was right there, my imaginary-glitter infused-friend filling the store with giggles. Girly and I tried on all the hats. Took all the pictures. The burdens within my soul lightened a bit.














2. Friends: I’ve needed some compassion, validation and perspective this week. I am grateful for the laughter and love given to me this week. Shaking their heads at the stories, they say to me, “You can’t win.”

3. Murky things: Navigating through the request made of me by  Parentals, I am working at honoring it. Understanding that winning is not possible, the next question is how to navigate the now. The process has me walking through some painful scars in order to find a medium. The whole process takes patience. Which leads me to Watson waiting for me to take a walk: he is the picture of patience.



4. Boundaries: Often are elusive to me. As an Extrovert who LOVES all the people, I can get caught up in the fun and forget about my needs. A friend gave me a game plan to use in a particularly foggy relationship. It worked beautifully.

5. Dogs-Sometimes a nap outside fixes everything.


6. Community service-Girly chose to participate in our area’s Juvenile Diabetes Walk for her community service project this month. She’s excited. If you are interested in supporting her follow this link.

7. Weather maps: *snark font* I’m beginning to think Mother Nature has something against California. A whole week’s worth of rain and all we get is a windstorm as it swirls around us.

US National Weather Service Hanford California

8. Little Girls: They grow up. This Girly fills my heart with joy. Keeps me humble and got a hair cut this week. The boys are not quite sure what to do with her.


9. Science Fair reprieve: In Girly’s head she doesn’t have to do one this year. BUT I think she should. I have to thank Jimmy Fallon for giving her this brilliant idea that Ase and Zany cannot wait to help her with. At lunch yesterday the Three were discussing PSI formulas, density, weight, circumference with ALL the sparkles of mischief in their eyes. All I have to do is buy the craft supplies for the board.


10. Growing Pains: Ase and Zany are walking through all the growing pains of early college. Discouragement, mistakes and failures were discussed this week. I am SO grateful that they still want me involved. It is a privilege to be a part of this season with them.

15 comments:

  1. The world according to Watson... Is that really how he waits for you? WHat a great guy! I love the black hat in the second picture btw! and jimmy fallon goes without saying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Watson takes that position when he's being SUPER patient. First phase is pacing. Second phase is laying in the middle of foot traffic with a few huge sighs. Then it is belly up.

      Sometimes when standing in a slow line, I want to take his position. Maybe it would help my patience AND the line.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Watson! I love basset hounds. Are you familiar with the Daily Drool? Great group of basset folks!

    Mother Nature has not been too kind, precipitation-wise, to California over the past few years. We really could use rain and snow-pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not familiar with the Daily Drool. I will have to check it out.

      We SO could. They were predicting an El Nino for us, but it looks like the chances have dropped to 60%. I think we need to do some kind of rain dance.

      Delete
  3. Oh my word, that dog is precious! And so patient. I could learn from him. Imagine what my family would do if I took that position by the front door when I am trying to be patient while waiting for them to get their slow-poke rear ends in the van. :)

    We've had a whole mess of cold and rain this week, too. A little sunshine would be awfully nice right about now.

    Science fairs are miserable. I'm glad your kids have found a fun one to do that gets them all talking and enjoying each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should try that position, just once, to see what the reaction would be. I would love to hear about that.

      I think Mother Nature sent you our share of the rain and cold. The temps here are at least reasonable and out of the 90*s.

      I don't mind Science Fairs. Girly love science and I was surprised when she didn't want to do a project-to be fair the one she wanted to do was a bust because of the drought. I cannot wait to see what the three of them will come up with.

      Delete
  4. Oh yes nothing quite like the drama of a basset hound.

    Mother nature has been pretty fickle here in Florida too.

    Love the photos with the hats. How great you have someone to do that with! I would totally join you with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice that Girly isn't too embarrassed by her goofy Mom. Then to know we were making Lizzi giggle on top of it all was just what the doctor ordered.

      I think Mother Nature needs to take a vacation. She's stressed out and we ALL know how that makes everything topsy turvy.

      Delete
  5. I always come back to the simple idea that dogs are perfect lifeforms.
    tired? take a nap! not near your bed? hey! this is a good spot! need to motivate the human? do the cute thing!
    lol
    the photos show (some of) the fun of life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your lovely photos.
    The dogs look so relaxed, and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We could all learn something from Watson.
    Your daughter looks just lovely with her new haircut! Very grown up!
    Ugh, college and boys! My son is a sophomore and just this year has gotten the "hang" of going to college (I think and hope and pray). We worried all last year that he would lose his scholarship while trying to learn how to study and prepare for classes with us pushing him. By the skin of his teeth (and 6 hours this summer) he got the GPA where it needed to be (3.6) to keep the scholarship. Whew! Your boys will work it out, too.
    Oh, love your hat pics! I hats, but I have a big head and always look like Gomer Pyle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU!! I am so glad to know I am not the only one dealing with college and boys. The balance between nurturing encourager and assbusting drill sargent.

      Ase has it almost figured out, just a bit of fine tuning. Zany on the other hand.... let's just say my virtue of patience is growing.

      Delete
  8. I can't imagine all of the tough things that you go through but I'm so glad that you have supportive people around you to help you get through it all. I can only imagine how nice it is as a mom to have your kids still want your advice and help as young adults. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.