Sunday, November 23, 2014

The Cold and the Sun: #75 Ten Things of Thankful

Ten Things of Thankful

I did it!

I read everyone’s posts and left a little love. I usually only have time to either write OR read and it seems I will be able to do both. It seems the theme this weekend is simple things and finding silver linings.

1. Nutcracker Sweatshirts: Our studio does a fundraiser each year to help with some of the costuming costs. With so many sweatshirts floating around, it is easy for them to get lost. I love being able to pull out my Mother-in-Law’s embroidery machine and personalize each one. It is part of our Nutcracker tradition.


2. Dog snuggles- Now the temperatures have come to their senses and our high is in the upper 60s, the tile floor gets a little chilly for low-riding dogs. Daisy is learning to appreciate the warmth of Watson.


3. This video reminded me of Girly when she was little:


Now-as a super logic teen-this empathy is still there, but is expressed differently. In the car when she is telling me about some injustice, or peoples’ insensitivities. It was a good reminder for me that even though she looks stoic on the outside, that deeply empathetic heart still pitterpats.

4. This important Christmas message:


5. When my family gets a cold: Over a week ago I felt really crummy. I figured it was allergies because our air was pretty crummy: rain+inversion layer for days=SMOG

BUT

This week everyone came down with a cold. What I thought was my fibro/allergies kicking me into bed really was an honest cold. There is something very grounding to have an illness to get better from every once in a while.

6. Ase and German. In developing better habits than playing online games ad infinitum, Ase bought Rosetta Stone’s German because he’s always wanted to learn the language. On Wednesday he interrupted his study session to share the German music he’d been listening to. Of course that mean I had to stop what I was doing and jump over to Spotify and research more music, which means German Punk. It was a fun few hours of reading titles and he telling me what they meant.

7. Thursday was Craft Day. In the homeschool group, I am in charge of the quarterly craft day. This time we made Nativity Sets from DelineateYourDwelling. The ages ranged from 3 to 11 years old. The room was mostly quiet for over an hour as they worked on each peace. They all turned out amazing!


8. In-N-Out. Of course I had to nutritionally power up before I taught the class. The weather is perfect for sitting outside in a sweater in the SUN!! I miss sitting outside the 6 months out of the year the sun is a glowing-scorching-orb bent on giving me the experience of Hell. I love this time of year.


9. This made be glad to be a preschool teacher in my life before kids. I can imagine Mark Ruffalo with his kid in my class… leave me alone! I’m imagining…


10.The SUN. With the fancy inversion layer we get around here, when it rains often the moisture/clouds get trapped and never leave. After a day of beautiful rain, I woke up the next morning to the outside looking the same as when I went to bed. When the sun finally burned through the clouds at 12, I was doing a happy dance.


And such is life, right? When it is the gloomiest, and we see a brighter patch struggling through the clouds we all look to the sky and cheer on that glowing orb.

Just like hope struggles to burn through those bluish gloomy moods.

22 comments:

  1. I love it when there is sun! But I've also learned to really enjoy the gloomy days too since most days here in AZ are super sunny. Sounds like such a great week! I'm also enjoying the cooler temperatures here myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have super sun in the summer, but in the winter we can be gloomy for months. I make the gloomy days sparkle filling the house with twinkly lights. Thanks for hopping by.

      Delete
  2. Just last week I pointed out the sun trying desperately to break through the clouds. I love seeing all the individual rays shining through.
    It is hard to remember our little kids are still in these big, very different bodies with their very different outside attitudes. It's wonderful when we get a glimpse of the little ones still inside.
    I got around to everyone this week, too! It has been really hard for me to get through even half lately.
    I didn't know you were a preschool teacher! I've been working in a preschool on and off for years now. That age is so much fun. Almost as fun as Jimmy Fallon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!!! Those teens can be really scary. But realizing that inside they are the same is a ray of hope.

      I'm glad to know I'm not the only one having a hard time getting around. I've felt like a bad blogger lately.

      It was before kids. I knew that I couldn't be the Mom I wanted to be and work in a classroom at the same time. It all worked out in the end. I might even go back once Girly is in highschool. I miss 3 year olds SOO much!!

      Delete
  3. I can relate to your item about having a cold too well! I have RA and terrible allergies and so often "what ails me" is simply the standard symptoms of those things. But this fall I had a terrible cold/bronchitis/asthma complication progression and it was fascinating to have a "normal" illness run its course. Hope you are feeling better!
    Love the sweatshirts - really striking design! Taking our Daughter to see her first live Nutcracker this year. Pretty exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling much better and everyone else is on the mend too.

      I can't wait to hear what your daughter thinks of Nutcracker. Keep me posted!

      Delete
  4. I miss my daughter's preschool years. She is a lovely tween. Smart and beautiful, but she was so sweet and cute when she was a preschooler. I love the sun's appearance in the winter too. We have great weather in the south though in the fall, winter,and early spring, til the oven gets turned on. Today, it rained all day so we caught a movie. Thanks for stopping by. I hope everyone gets over their colds and stays healthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone is better, which will make the holiday nice.

      Those tweens... it is so easy to forget they were cute and adorable. I am glad Girly is solid in her teen years. 14 is a nice age, next year when she's in highschool will be an adventure.

      What movie did you see? Did everyone like it?

      Delete
  5. Studying a foreign language is a lot of fun, and I like your Nativity sets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hopping by. He struggled with Spanish in high school. I am so proud of him for working through German.

      Delete
  6. The Nutcracker is one of my favorite Christmas activities. I've always wanted to learn French - one year in college didn't do it for me, but music is the universal language, correct? I, too was a preschool teacher, and many years after my children were past the age, I got to savor it for a long time. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sending lots of joy and full tummies thoughts your way.

      Delete
  7. sun through clouds is a conflicted choice for our part of the country (Northeast)… clearing skies means sun and cloud, while cloudy and rainy can mean warmth! (well, to get semi-technical) when the wind comes out of the southeast then there is usually warm, wind rain…. when it is brightest, the wind is usually the northwest… and cold

    lol… thats it from the TToM (Ten Things of Meteorological)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might have to steel that in the future. Weather is such a funny thing when reality doesn't line up with calendar pictures. I would love it if our clouds would rain. Maybe this year?

      Delete
  8. The video of the little girl reminded me of my sister when she was younger. She could never listen to the song, "Say, Say Oh Playmate" without crying. (Because "My dolly has the flu, boo hoo hoo hoo hoo hoo." )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girly is the same way. With a movie like that, if I pulled it out again she would tell me how sad it was and couldn't stand to watch it again. The only movie she would watch at that age was Cinderella 2, because it had no antagonist. Cinderella was simply solving problems around the castle.

      Delete
  9. What a great list! I know what you mean about time, so many times I started a TToT post but remembered we were going to be really busy over the weekend, and I wouldn't have time to hop around to others' posts. That always makes me feel really bad, so I usually opt out instead of beating myself up with guilt. I'm very happy you & I both had the time, yay! I can't believe you went to all, you're like a Blog Angel. I think I even hear bells :)
    The one about your daughter, aaawwww! I have an ... emotional, let's say, daughter as well. She's a bit of a worrier, like my oldest sister. This makes me worry FOR her, and it's seems to be a big circle, but she is loving and kind. I'm thankful those kinds of people. Our world needs them, that's for sure!
    Those crafts are SO CUTE! As my babies get older, and we have to come to accept they're getting less and less cute, I comfort myself with knowing they'll be able to do more chores---I mean CRAFTS! They're only 2 & 4 so we can't do much yet, but they're getting better. Homemade gifts for Christmas! Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This weekend, the bells aligned. Now, next weekend... who knows.

      Those soft hearted ones are hard. Especially if they have a perfectionist streak like mine does. I often worry because she locks up that squishy part of her so tightly she seems cold. Only the few who have passed her vetting of trust get to know her.

      A great craft for 2&4 is cinnamon/applesauce ornaments. I'll put together a post soon. I used it in when teaching. It is a favorite and super simple.

      Delete
    2. That sounds great, I'll keep an eye out for it!
      Mine has a touch of that, I wouldn't call Lola's perfectionism, but a lot of time things have to be HER certain way, or she seems to totally break down. It's a balance of not wanting her to hurt, and letting her realize things can't always be her way. That breaks my heart, of course. Some days she's ok but some days are better than others, like all of us. Yours will be like my sisters and me, only a handful of close friends, but those friends are for LIFE! And fiercely loyal. For us, that is better than many casual friends.

      Delete
  10. Ahhhhh I made it EVENTUALLY. Good grief it's taken a while. It seems we're all a bit best by life at the moment!

    I'm glad to see you've been having some fun, though, and I hope your cold is all gone away now. Colds suck. I had one the other week which COMPLETELY took me out.

    You're raising some lovely children, yaknow? I love that they care about other people so much.

    YAY NUTCRACKER. That's one of the suites of music which *is* Christmas to me. The other is Bach's Christmas music. I'm making myself wait til December to indulge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Oh Great Queen of All The Sparkles!! My cold is all the way gone, and just in time.

      Those kids. I kinda like them too, somehow everything works out in the end.

      Nutcracker saved Christmas for me. It sounds odd, but it did.

      Delete
  11. OK YAY for the sun and OMG I'm so jealous you have In N Out. YUM... for real. So hope you're feeling better and I know what you mean about not being able to write AND visit... I'm getting there (late but that's okay). :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.