Sunday, January 4, 2015

Ten Things of Thankfful #81

Ten Things of Thankful


It has been quiet here at the Lily Pad the past few weeks. In Real Life sucked me into all the Holiday Glories.
I patiently walked through Advent #1 and welcomed Christmas. I had no feelings of dread or anxiety-which was different. Some due to writing through the things which make Christmas difficult. Advent gave me the time to sit with those achy parts of my heart and make room for healing. However it wants to flow.
Nutcracker Mouse joined us for Christmas

Nutcracker was different this year. Ase didn’t dance, but Zany, Girly and Mutant did. Ase did help with props back stage with me when his schedule allowed. After three years of very emotional Nutcrackers, this one was delightful #2. The symphony had a guest conductor from the San Francisco Ballet. The orchestra was giddy, the dancers were relaxed and hardly anyone fell. To the amazement of many, I was giddy and bubbly and full of Sugar Plum sparkles.

The first semester is over! #3 Both boys hit that stuck in the mud transitional phase. If there was a degree or an award or some form of compensation for online gaming, Ase and Zany would be able to pay for college. The last three months were filled with starts, stops and complete Mom meltdowns as they figured out how to exit the land of Swamp Ass and into the land of young adult. With full ON CAMPUS schedules, I am hopeful a real change is around the corner.

Girly’s first semester is over as well. #4 Taking two classes at the private school our homeschool is associated with is perfect. She is managing the homework, making friends and watching her grades online. Along with projects, funny anecdotes and a growing love for the marginalized. Thankful for the private Christian school experience, she is looking forward to public high school next year. 
Girly snapped this while longboarding

Mutant got me a REAL laptop and a tablet for Christmas. #5 I danced around it for the last week and this is its maiden voyage in writing, editing and posting. The tablet was an add on, because he felt sorry for me playing Candy Crush on my itty bitty phone screen with Old Lady glasses. The whole thing still makes me feel a bit intimidated.
Old friends. #6 A friend from Jr. High and his family came into town for the holiday. The stars aligned and we were able to hang out for the day. Tell stories, watch kids skateboard and feel a bit of adventurous nostalgia.
Girly snapped this while I was busy talking.

Counting Mutant’s official CFO job is keeping him very busy and learning ALL the things #7. They launched a new accounting system and he’s been driving back and forth between offices. Because of it, we weren’t able to celebrate his birthday the traditional way, but had presents and ate cake on New Year’s Eve instead. Of course the kids and I had cake for brunch ON his birthday. OF COURSE we instagramed it. Because if it isn’t on social media, it didn’t happen. 

Working on boundaries in difficult relationships. #8. In writing about my sordid story in a safe place and the feedback, pockets of peace are emerging. Freedom is appearing in odd little places. Boundaries are finding words that at some point will be written out for my own clarity.
REST #9 Over the last two weeks, permissions granted to cancel things, lie around and eat what I felt like. The whole thing beautifully paced without pressures. Fun was had. Obligations fulfilled with boundaries. Moments of recuperation carved out. I am sad it’s over.
Tomorrow #10 is Monday. I am embarrassed to say that it is my favorite day of the week. Especially in a New Year. Monday is good for starting things. Monday is nice to reboot a project. Monday is the great mystery which leads into a week of adventure. It is a starting place for goals, cleaning the food regiment or beginning a new workout routine.  So… here we go folks…

9 comments:

  1. While I can't say Monday is my favorite. It is a good day to try and reboot. Monday mornings are normally rough... who am I kidding mornings are rough.

    I am so glad you have found some solace in writing!! It helps my anxiety immensely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you about the mornings- I love them, but they don't love me. After taking Girly to school and walking a mile I had to take a two hour nap. BUT Mondays are always my goal post for beginnings.

      Delete
  2. I loved today being Monday as well although usually I am not one for the mornings at all. Like ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mornings and I have been arguing all week long. I'm hoping they will be nicer next week. BUT Monday was very kind.

      Delete
  3. REST! Brilliant. And yay for boundaries, too.

    I'm glad you were able to be full of sugarplum sparkles, and the sprinkles on that cake are INCREDIBLE! I hope Mr Mutant had a happy birthday.

    :) YAY LAPTOP. The intimidation will go, promise. I remember it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad for the encouragement. Once I get the post-fatigue in check, the writing SHOULD fall into place.

      Delete
  4. Glad the Nutcracker went well; they've been rehearsing for a long time! And glad the boys have gotten the college thing figured out. I really feared my son never would, but he did. Of course, I also feared he would take a binky to college and that I would have to go with him to wipe his butt, and that didn't happen, so all things are possible, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad to hear that I am not the only one. They've committed to this semesters classes and seem to have a destination for their motivation. As to whether they will stick to it.... that's what I am holding my breath with hope about.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.