Saturday, February 7, 2015

Little Things, Puzzles and Quiet: Ten Things Of Thankful 86

Ten Things of Thankful

Between grieving, a cold and a fibro flare this week has been odd. Working through Thankfuls last weekend diffused some of the darkness and for that simple discipline I am deeply grateful. So now it’s time for this week’s count.
1.  Superbowl: 25 years ago Mutant and I got married. Oddly enough it was on Superbowl weekend.
On our honeymoon yes. We. Did. Watch it.
For us it was a romantic moment that began a tradition. We would do something to celebrate those wedding promises we made: a romantic dinner or a getaway.  BUT, we would always be home for Sunday. 7 layer dip would be made among other football foods.

Kids settled around the screen and as a family we would watch the game. Some years we paid more attention to the commercials than the game.

Even when they moved the game back a weekend-it used to be the end of January-we still gather. Kids filled with the same anticipation. It doesn’t matter if we followed football that season or where we celebrate it. It is our own little holiday.
2. Jimmy Fallon- he has been my giggle bucket this week. From the lip sync battle with Kevin Hart and Will Farrell

to reading scripts written by kids with Michael Keaton, my heart was made a little lighter.

3. Writing- I’ve been writing about my Grandmother in a series this week. The whole relationship was complicated. It has been good to put it into words and lay it to rest. Monday will be the last in the series.
4. Process- 27 years ago family became very complicated. Through it all I’velearned about my limits and the limits of others. As I’ve actively pursuedforgiveness within my own heart, it made certain formalities less emotionally taxing.  I realized this week, eventhough I’ve done the work of healing there is an element of raw biological emotion I need to walk through. It is a grace I am thankful for.
5. Seeing the world through Girly’s eyes.
For some reason Girly was pretending to be little

6.  Weather-  The fog is gone and the sun is out. That’s good.
However…
Girly playing with low angles

California has lost it’s damn mind because not only is it sunny, we’ve warmed up to the high 70s. Today it reached 80.
SO… I am so very grateful for the pictures of snow in other places. Thinking about blue skies, sunshine and still being able to wear a jacket. There is something horribly wrong with sweating in February. Maybe that is why the Groundhog went back into it’s burrow
7. Walking the Dog- It doesn’t matter where my head is, these dogs want exercise.  I’ve only been able to walk one mile a day this week, but on Thursday I took Watson to the park. He sniffed to complete contentment. Walked off the leash in a dog part and well…. Felt like this when we were done.

8. Boys- School seems to be working well for them. It is nice to see them coming out of their gray semester. Gaming is down and conversations are up around here. It is closing weekend for Ase’s show and Zany is off on a surfing adventure with a friend.
9. Friends- Last night I had a dinner with a friend. A glass of wine in hand we giggled through Ase’s show. I have been a bit of a mental mess the last few weeks. She has been ever patient with my ramblings and unpacking of the mental puzzles in my head.
10. Rain- It may only be a spritz here, but it smells wonderful and turns everything into the most beautiful shade of green.

18 comments:

  1. Wow...love the photos...

    I love the after smell of rain too. the one time I was in California two years ago it both rained and snowed!

    I understand the family issues. I thought I had made much progress and recently I discovered some more raw emotional areas that needs work. its frustrating but also I know I can do it because of what I have already overcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Healing is a process, not a destination. The moment I realized that a load lifted. I didn't have to have all the answers or be happy about all of it. It is part of the ride that is life. You can grow through this. Even the frustration is useful.

      Delete
  2. Oh Watson! I got so engrossed in the vids ive been here all night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We watched the lip sync battle live, but I've spent much of the week engrossed in those vids. They are perfect with a cup of coffee in the morning. Start the day with a smile.

      Delete
  3. Jimmy Fallon comes up with the funniest things for his guests to do. He was made for that job. I enjoy the lip syncing, but I really liked the water wars he did early on. Hysterical.
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandma. Regardless of what our relationships are with our family, it is horribly difficult to lose someone. I hope you work it all through and you find some peace.
    Indiana lost its mind, too. We had temps up near 50 today! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Water Wars are amazing! Did you see the one with Chris Hemsworth?

      Thanks for that. It is nice to have a place to put it, even if it is on the interwebs. I think the hard part will be what life with my family of origin will look like now. We all process things differently.

      Delete
  4. Okay, when you put it like that even the short spritz of rain sounds good. I'm so glad you have a wonderful friend and wine and laughs, and I'm glad that you're managing to get stuck in and figure out a few of the leftover tangles. You are growing ever more resilient. Good for you.*hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love not feeling quite so off kilter with the leftover tangles. And the resilience feels more comfortable. I've thought a lot about you this week in my dark moments. It is nice not to be alone in them.

      Delete
  5. Jimmy Fallon does the most hilarious skits. Love him! Did you see the lip synching battle with Emma Stone? Or his incredibly awkward interview with Nicole Kidman?
    When I was a kid the weekend closest to my birthday was always Superbowl weekend, and it annoyed the hell out of me. I was thrilled when they pushed it back a weekend. Now I don't have to compete.
    I'll be interested to read about your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!! Each day I check in on the night before's shenanigans. It is perfect with a cup of coffee. The Nicole Kidman interview made me piddle. Did you see he mentioned it in the Saved By The Bell skit?

      When you say the Superbowl weekend change like that, I am happy. No one should ever have to share a birthday with football.

      Thanks. My Grandmother was a force to be reckoned with.

      Delete
  6. I've never heard the term "giggle bucket" before, but I agree that Jimmy Fallon fills mine! Glad you've been able to work through some relationships, had fun with a friend, and got a sprinkle of rain. Isn't it interesting how quickly Southern California greens up with the smallest amount of rain? Oh, and Watson! I hope to have a day soon that I enjoy as thoroughly as Watson obviously enjoyed his!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like Southern California is a dry sponge. A spit and POOF everything is green.

      Sending you good juju this week so you can have a Watson moment.

      Delete
  7. You know, I got married in January 30 years ago and it was the Superbowl weekend. The 49'ers were playing someone. It was so cold and windy in Washington DC they closed down the monuments. Anyway, I hope you can find joy in your week. Looks like it was hard last week. Thankful we can find ways to laugh and friends to share with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So! fun to know that we share an anniversary with you.

      The week was better than the one before. In letting the emotions work themselves through each day improves. Finding joy in the little things. Thoughts from this community help.

      Delete
  8. Happy quarter-century anniversary!

    Watson makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Basset hounds are such quirky dogs. It is hard to not smile when I look at him.

      Delete
  9. I love rain. Always have - before, during, after. It's just one of my favorite weather things.
    I love your anniversary tradition. Doesn't matter what they involve, special celebrations and traditions like that are what make couples unique. Ours involves lobsters. :D
    Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I want to hear about the tradition of lobsters. I never thought of traditions that way. Now I don't feel so weird about it. You're right!

      Delete

Thanks for visiting the lily pad.